Friday, May 6, 2011

Iron & Wine- Kiss Each Other Clean (Album Review)

Intriguing

At first I hated the album and wondered what Sam Beams was doing by doing the full band thing like everyone else. Then I listened to it again, and again, and again. I just couldn't help it. There is something about this album that just keeps you coming back for more. I wouldn't say that it is his coming out album or the one that ruined the band either.

The Good!

Sam Beam's soft and delicate voice still holds his listeners from start to finish. Even when there are funky beats being played and swanky saxes playing that voice is what you look for. The album is great because it is different from the other albums and so it keeps things fresh. The harmonies are also wonderful and when you get a couple of Sams going at the same time the blend lulls you into a clam mood.

The Bad...

What is that swanky sax doing anyways... I just can't get into it. And all those funky beats, I just don't get it. There are only about 3-4 that are funky but it is a couple too many for me. I also am not a fan of the vulgar profanities that get spewed on the rare occasion. Not that profanities bother me necessarily but this is a album that I could put on when my mom is over for dinner in the background but I don't think that I will take the chance that the conversation will wane just when the word is in full force. You know it would happen.

Overall?

3.5 out of 5. I have to say that the rating could change after a few more listens. As I get deeper into the album I start to forget about the sax and the funk and get back to Sam. So, it is growing on me and I think that you would enjoy it more if you get past those hurdles.

No comments:

Post a Comment